Should I Buy an Extended Protection Plan for My Hoverboard?
UPDATE: Now that hoverboards have once more returned to Amazon and other online shops, let me say this: If you buy a hoverboard off of Amazon and don't purchase one of these protection plans, you're just wasting your hard-earned money. Right now, the $400 Electric Scooter Protection Plan for Amazon hoverboards is only a few dollars about $30. That gives you 2 years of protection for any mechanical defects after the 1 year warranty expires. It's worth it!
Do you have a hoverboard? A hoverboard protection plan from Squaretrade is probably one of the smartest purchases you could make. These
plans give you extra protection for your hoverboard over and beyond what the manufacturer's warranty covers. Protect your investment after you buy a self
If you had a 30 day hoverboard warranty and you purchased one of these protection plans, on day 31 when your factory warranty had expired, you would now
have Squaretrade covering any issues. How cool is that?
The Hoverboard Extended Warranty Covers:
- 24 hr a day service. Their support staff will be available when you need them.
- 100% Parts and Labor. You will not have to pay anything to get your self balancing scooter repaired.
- FREE shipping to the repair center, and there's also free shipping back to you.
- With a few hours of you purchasing the extended warranty, you'll receive an email with all the information about the warranty.
- You can cancel the protection plan at any time with 30 days of buying and you'll get your money back.
- You can give a hoverboard as a gift to someone and give the warranty as a gift. It's fully transferable.
A protection plan from Squaretrade is worth the low cost.
Some of the fine print. It's funny how there's always some.
The Squaretrade protection plan only covers items bought at Amazon within the last 30 days. That means that you can buy the scooter now, wait 2 weeks and
then pay the bit extra for the protection plan.
The email that you receive after buying is your official purchase confirmation. Don't lose it.
The protection plan starts after the end of the manufacturer's warranty. If you call Squaretrade while it is still under their warranty, you will be
directed to the manufacturer.
The plan is only valid for a single item.
How to Buy A Squaretrade Protection plan? What's the difference between the various plans?
As you might have noticed, Amazon carries several different Squaretrade plans. How can you tell the difference between the various plans? It's pretty
straightforward. You will need to buy the protection plan that closest matches the sale price of the hoverboard that you buy.
If you buy a Swagway X1 hoverboard for $495. You would then need to buy the Squaretrade protection plan for bike/scooters 450.00-499.00. That's the extended
warranty for a scooter that costs between $450 and $499. If the Swagway went up in price and was $500, that extended warranty for it wouldn't be valid. You'd
need to buy the extended warranty for a $500-$599 scooter to cover it.
Should I buy an Extended Warranty for my Hoverboard?
I'm the type of person who will often laugh at the sales person who tries to push some over-priced service plan on to me when I make a purchase. HOWEVER,
hoverboards have already had a sketchy history: major retailers pulling them from shelves, airlines banning them, random fires while they're charging.
A hoverboard is so much fun and costs so much, that the low price for an EXTRA 2 years of protection is worth it. So much so that I'm giving these an
EDITOR's CHOICE badge and 5/5 star review rating.
This Seems Appropriate
The Hoverboard Protection Plans
These are all two years plans. While you could get a plan that is only for a year, the cost is not substantially more to extend the coverage for a year. It
just makes sense.
Hoverboards are so new that there's no real idea on just how long you can use one before it is no longer usable. Think about that for a second. It might be
that each one falls apart when it hits mile #34. With a Squaretrade extended warranty you will get full coverage and protection for 2 years AFTER the
manufacturer's warranty. I highly recommend buying one of these plans for your hoverboard. And then I recommend coming and reading more of my hoverboard blog.
Here's two of the best hoverboards available on Amazon.
BestHot 42V 2A Power Adapter PowerFast 3-Prong Inline Connector Battery Charger For Pocket Mod, Sports Mod, and Dirt Quad
- 1.100% Brand New.
- 2.Input: 100-240VAC,50/60Hz,1.5A,Output: 42V 2A Power Max: 84W
- 3.DC Connecter size: 3 prong Inline
- 4.Cable Length:39.4 In / 100 CM,One Indication Ligh:Green(full),Red(charging).
- 5.Overload ,Short circuit, Overvoltage Protection funtion
Power Charger Model: HK-42-2000 Color: Black Material:ABS Input: 100-240VAC,50/60Hz,1.5A Output: 42V Capacity: 2A(2000mA) Power Max: 84W DC Connecter size: 3 prong Inline Cable Length:39.4 In / 100 CM Size:13*6*3.5cm Weight:235g+55g(power power cable) Guaranteed Reliability: ●Any question you have, please don't hesitate to contact Besthot Support Team. We will get you back within 48 hours. ●Free Lifetime Technical Support. ●One Year Guarnteed
Hoverboard 6.5" UL 2272 Listed Two-Wheel Self Balancing Electric Scooter with Top LED Light And Bluetooth Speaker
- New Fashion Color Skin
- Front and Top LED Flashing Light with Bluetooth Speaker
- 6.5'' Wheels, Charger Included
- UL Certificated Hoverboard safe and stable
- Anti-fire Plastic Material Cover, Whole Hoverboard
- UL 2272 Certified! - U.S.A. Based Company Highest Quality Chinese Manufacturing Engineered to Last! - Premium Materials & Components - English Speaking US Based Customer Service - Tire Size: 6.5 inch - Motor: 400 Watt (200 Watt x 2) Max Speed: 6-10 MPH (Depending on road condition and rider weight) - Charging Time: 2 ~ 3 Hours - Max Load: 220 lbs Ground Clearance: 25mm Platform Height: 115mm Mudguards: - Plastic Max Speed: 14Km/H Power Requirements: AC100-240V/50-60Hz - Battery Capacity: 25.9V, 4.0 mAh
Also be sure to get the proper accessories and safety gear.